What are the characteristics of hormones ?
CHARACTERISTICS OF HORMONES
- They are secreted by endocrine or ductless gland.
- They are effective in very low concentrations as they have high biological activity.
- Hormone molecules are small in size and so can be easily propagated through the cell membrane.h
- Tey are formed in response to specific stimuli.
- Their secretions are regulated by nerves or by feedback result.
- They are transmitted through blood
- They do not catalyze any reaction. Therefore, they are not directly involved in the cellular metabolic reactions.
- They work by stimulating or inhibiting the target organ.