Write a note on genomic library.
A genomic DNA library is a collection of clones containing the total genomic DNA fragments of an organism. It contains all genomic DNA of that organism, including coding and non-coding sequences. After cloning (genetic engineering) a genomic library is constructed using recombinant DNA technology.
- The collection of DNA fragments (specifically genes) from a particular species represents genomic library.
- The creation or construction of genomic libraries is accomplished by isolating complete genome.
- Entire DNA from a cell which is cut into fragments using suitable restriction endonuclease and cloned in suitable vectors.
- The specific clone carrying the desired DNA can be identified, isolated and characterised.
- In such a way a library of genes or clones foran entire genome of species can be Constructed
- The specific clone carrying the desired DNA can be identified and isolated with complementation or using probe.
- Probe is a single stranded nucleic acid that is used in hybridization experiment to identity nucleic acid containing sequences tha are complementary to the probe.