MCQ on Batch Sterilization / Batch Fermentation :
What is Batch Sterilization :
- Batch sterilization is the most commonly used and suitable method for liquid media sterilization.
- Generally, the Batch Sterilization process is completed into three steps: heating, holding, and cooling period.
- In the heating step, the steam is directly injected into the fermentation medium, or the vessel is heated electrically by heating jackets / Coils.
- Now the temperature is increased until it reaches the sterilization temperature where it is held for a set period. During this period, most of the unwanted microorganisms are destroyed from the media and Bioreactor.
- Finally, the system is cooled to bring the sterile culture media back to the desired temperature.
- The autoclave is an instrument that works on the principle of batch sterilization. It is used to kill germs that invade the fermentation media.
- The highest temperature, which appears to be feasible for batch sterilization is 121°C.
Batch Sterilization: Fermentation Technology Questions and Answers
1. Batch Sterilization is the________
1. Batch sterilization is the reduction of contaminant organisms through the heating of a vessel.
2. Batch sterilization is the growth of organisms through the heating of a vessel.
3. Batch sterilization is the reduction of contaminant organisms from the skin
4. Batch sterilization is the reduction of contaminant organisms through the heating of a vessel Continuously.
2. Which of the following instrument works on the principle of batch sterilization?
3. Batch sterilization cycle time consists of how many phases_______
4. The highest feasible temperature for batch sterilization is ________
5. In fermentation batch sterilization of media is by_______
3. Both 1 and 2
4. None of the above
6. The long exposure of batch sterilization may lead to____________
1. Purification of media
2. Recovery of media
4. Good quality of product
Answer : 3
7. What is the advantage of batch sterilization over continuous sterilization?
1. Superior maintenance of medium quality
2. Ease of scale-up
3. Automatic control
4. Lower equipment costs
8. Which sterilization method is used for media sterilization in the fermenter before the start of the batch process?
4. None of these