Continuous Sterilization/ Continuous fermentation MCQ Questions and Answers :
Continuous Sterilization :
- Continuous sterilization is the rapid transfer of heat to the medium through steam condensate without the use of a heat exchanger/Coils.
- This method is only used for medium sterilization in large-scale fermentation plants.
- The process includes sterilization operations such as heating, maintenance, and cooling the medium outside the fermenter before entering the fermentation process.
- In Continuous sterilization, the culture medium is continuously pumped into a heating tower heated by direct steam, so that it can reach the temperature of 126 ~ 132 ℃ in a short time.
- Then enter in the maintenance tank (or maintenance tube), keep it at the sterilization temperature for 5 to 7 minutes, and then enter the cooling tube to cool it to the inoculation temperature and directly enter the fermenter that has been sterilized in advance (empty tank sterilization).
MCQ on Continuous Sterilization with Answers:
1. The Continuous culture is a/an ______ culture system.
2. Which of the following time is not included in continuous sterilization?
(1) Heating time
(2) Cooling time
(3) Holding time
(4) Sterilization time
3. What is the correct sequence of steps involved in continuous sterilization?
(1)Heating, holding, and cooling.
(2) Heating, cooling, and holding.
(3) Holding, heating, and cooling.
(4) Cooling, holding, and heating
4. Which of the following is a type of continuous sterilizer?
(1) Steam Injector
(2) Inertial Impaction
(3) Electrostatic attraction
5. The holding time at 135°C will be _________
(1) 2.44 minutes
(2) 51.9 seconds
(3) 18.9 seconds
(4) 2.7 seconds
6. What are the bases for designing a continuous sterilizer?
(1) a heating section
(2) a holding section,
(3) a cooling section
(4) All of the above
7. The sterilization in double spiral heat exchanger is done through ___________
(1) Countercurrent mechanism
(2) Counter mechanism
(3) Symporter mechanism
(4) Antiporter mechanism
8. Which of the following is an advantage of continuous sterilization over batch sterilization?
(1) Solid matter can be used in media
(2) Reduction of fermenter corrosion
(3) Lower risk of contamination
(4) Easier control
9. Which technique is commonly used for sterilization of air continuously supplied in fermenters?
(3) Chemical sterilization
10. What is the holding time in sterilization?
(1) The holding time is the time the whole load must be held at sterilizing temperature.
(2) The holding time is the heating time the whole load must be held at sterilizing temperature.
(3) The holding time is the heating time the whole load must be held at Cooling.
(4) All of the above
11. Which of the following is the main disadvantage of a direct plate exchanger?
(1) Foaming occurs
(2) High capital cost
(3) If the media contains suspended solids, the plate may get blocked
(4) High maintenance
Answer : 3
12. Which of the following is not a property of Plate type heat exchangers?
(1) Even though the heat exchanger has a low hydraulic diameter, it can be readily and easily cleaned
(2) Leakage is never a concern in these heat exchangers
(3) It provides a very large surface area for heat transfer
(4) The net weight required is always less than its equivalent Shell and tube type heat exchanger