Pros and Cons of Antibiotics:
What are antibiotics?
- A long time ago, it was found that some microorganisms have an inhibit toory effect on the growth and reproduction of other microorganisms and this is cause due to the antibiotics.
- In 1928, a British scientist named Fleming (1881-1955) found that in the culture of Staphylococcus aureus, the culture is contaminated by Penicillium and its vicinity could no longer see Staphylococcus.
- This shows that Penicillium can secrete a substance that can kill and inhibit the growth of Staphylococcus.
- After trial and error, Fleming and his colleagues found that the Penicillium exudates inhibit the growth of many pathogenic bacteria, and that the substances extracted from its solution are very effective in treating septicemia and wounds.
- The drug resistance of bacteria is mainly caused by the excessive use of antibiotics, so it is recommended to standardize the use of antibiotics.
- The application of antibiotics based on the principle of low-grade to high-grade, oral administration first and then intravenous administration.
- It is recommended to improve the drug susceptibility test and select sensitive antibiotics.
- Commonly used antibiotics penicillin, mainly penicillin, ampicillin, amoxicillin. Cephalosporins include cefazolin, cephalexin, and cefixime.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Antibiotics :
Pros of Antibiotics :
They are the basis of modern Western medicine. It has been the greatest discovery as far as pharmacology is concerned. They can treat hundreds of other infections quite effectively. It has helped control terrible diseases such as tuberculosis, leprosy, scarlet fever, syphilis, among others. Thanks to that, millions of people have been saved.
- The drug can reach the bottom of the deep periodontal pocket and the hard-to-reach parts of the root bifurcation, which helps to remove the bacteria there.
- It can kill microorganisms that invade the wall of the periodontal pocket.
- It can remove pathogenic microorganisms in the non-periodontal pocket area in the oral cavity.
- The discovery and application of antibiotics is a great revolution for mankind. Since then, mankind has a major weapon to fight against death, because the number one killer of human death is bacterial infection.
Cons of antibiotics:
Antibiotics are substances foreign to the human body and many of them can cause adverse or undesirable effects that are sometimes more serious than the disease itself, due to the irresponsibility of people. Antibiotics do not attack only the bacteria that are causing a disease, but all those bacteria that are sensitive and come into contact with them. Since many bacteria exist in the body and are necessary for vital biological processes, the use of an antibiotic often attacks these bacteria and causes additional problems.
- The disadvantage of antibiotics can make the body produce drug resistance.
- It is easy to induce drug-resistant strains.
- The use of antibiotics in large doses and for a long time is likely to cause dysbacteriosis.
- It is easy to produce adverse reactions, such as gastrointestinal reactions.
- It is difficult for some patients to insist on taking the medicine as prescribed by the doctor, which affects the curative effect.
- They are not effective against infections caused by viruses, parasites or fungi. For these germs, there are specific drugs, which are antiviral, antiparasitic and antifungal.
- Excessive use causes bacteria to undergo changes and antibiotics lose their power of action over them.
- Many antibiotics cause skin rashes and other manifestations of allergy (fever, arthritis, etc.), in a small number of predisposed people.