Banking of Road MCQ Questions with Answers:
Banking of road: For the safety of a vehicle moving along a curved road at high speed, the road surface is kept inclined horizontally so that the outer edge of the road is at a higher level than the inner edge. This construction or C arrangement of the road is called banking of road.
MCQ on Banking of road:
1. While taking turns on a curved road, a cyclist has to bend through a certain angle. This is done______
(a) to reduce his speed
(b) to decrease the friction between the tires and the road
(c)To get the necessary centripetal force
(d) to reduce his weight
2. A coin is kept on a horizontal disc, which rotates about a vertical axis passing through its center. The coin slips away when the speed of the disc is high. The reason is______
(a) the centrifugal force drives the coin away from the disc.
(b) the weight of the coin drives the coin away from the disc.
(c) the friction between the coin and the disc is insufficient.
(d) the friction between the coin and the disc is very high.
3. A car takes a turn on a slippery road at a safe speed of 9.8 m/s. If the coefficient of friction is 0.2, the minimum radius of the arc in which the car takes a turn is______
(a) 20 m
(b) 49 m
(d) 80 m
(c) 24.5 m
4. The circumference of a circular track is 1.256 km. What is the tangent of the angle of banking of the track if the maximum speed, at which a car can be safely driven along it is 20 m/s and g = 10 m/s?
Read: MCQs on Gravitation
5. An airplane is taking a turn in a horizontal plane. While
taking the turn_____
(a) it remains horizontal
(b) it inclines outwards
(c) it inclines inward
(d) it makes its wings vertical
6. When a car takes a turn on a horizontal road, the centripetal force is provided by the______
(a) weight of the car
(b) the normal reaction of the road
(c) the frictional force between the surface of the road and the tires of the car
(d) centrifugal force
7. While taking a sharp turn, a car moving on a horizontal road, may be thrown out of the road. This happens_______
(a) due to frictional force between the tires and the road
(b) due to gravitational force
(c) due to lack of sufficient centripetal force
(d) due to the reaction of the ground.
8. When a car takes a circular turn on a banked road, the Centripetal force is provided by______
(a) gravitational force
(b) frictional force
(c) If a horizontal component of normal reaction
(d) the vertical component of normal reaction.
9. A cyclist moves on a circular track with a radius of 100m. If the coefficient of friction is 0.2, then the maximum velocity with which the cyclist can take the turn with leaning inward Is_______
(a) 140 m/s
(b) 14 m/s
(c) 1.4 m/s
(d) 4.9 m/s
10. Without changing the angle of banking, if we want to increase the maximum safe speed, with which a car can travel on the curved road by 10%, then we have to increase the radius of curvature of the road from 20 m to_____
(a) 12.1 m
(b) 24.2 m
(d) 48 m
11. A van is moving with a speed of 108 km/hr on a level road where the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.5. For the safe driving of the van, the minimum radius of curvature of the road will be (g = 10 m/s)
(a) 80 m
(b) 180 m
(c) 40 m
(d) 20 m
12. A car is moving on a horizontal circular track with a radius of 10m with a constant speed of 10 m/s. A bob is suspended from the top of the car by a string of length I’m. If g= 10 m/s, then the angle made by the string with the vertical is _______
13. A cyclist goes round a circular path of circumference 34.3 m in 22 sec. The angle made by the cyclist with the vertical is given by______
14. A coin just remains on a disc, rotating at a steady rate of 180 r.p.m. A coin is kept at a distance of 2 cm from the axis of rotation. The coefficient of friction between the (g = 9.8 m/s) coin and the disc is_______
15. What would be the maximum speed of a car on a road turn of radius 30 m, if the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.4?
(a) 6.84 m/s
(b) 8.84 m/s
(c) 10.84 m/s
(d) 4.84 m/s
16. A curved road having a radius of curvature of 30m is banked at the correct angle. If the speed of the car is to be doubled, then the radius of curvature of the road should be__________
(a) 62 m
(b) 120 m
(c) 90 m
(d) 15 mn
17. A vehicle sometimes overturns while taking a turn. When it overturns______
(a) The outer wheels leave the ground first
(b) The inner wheels leave the ground first
(c) All wheels leave the ground simultaneously
(d) either the inner wheels or the outer wheels leave the ground first. It depends upon the total weight of the vehicle
18. A car is moving on a circular horizontal track with a radius of 10m with a constant speed of 10 m/s. A plumb line is suspended from the roof of the car by a light rod of length 1m. What is the angle made by the rod with the track? (g = 10 m/s)
19. On a banked road, the centripetal force is provided by________
(a) the frictional force
(b) weight of the car.
(c) the vertical component of the (resultant) normal reaction