NCBS-JGEEBILS 2024 Eligibility Apply Online
The National Centre for Biological Sciences is a center of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai. The Department of Biological Sciences (DBS) is located at TIFR in Mumbai. Both units run vibrant graduate programs and seek excellent students who have completed their primary degrees in basic sciences, engineering, or medicine.
Graduate students are recruited into the programs after a written test conducted at several centers nationally, followed by interviews held in Mumbai (for DBS) or submission of a full application and interviews for short-listed applicants at Bangalore (for NCBS).
The TIFR Nationwide Entrance Examination (GS-2024)for Biology is also called the Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS).
All participating institutions use the score from this examination, but each institution has its own admission procedure. Students need to apply separately to each institution that uses the JGEEBILS score.
About Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS)
The NCBS JGEEBILS exam is a shared entrance test for graduate programs in Biology and interdisciplinary life sciences. The test originated from the TIFR annual entrance test for Biology, which was used by DBS/TIFR as well as NCBS/TIFR. The motivation for this shared test is to reduce the difficulties that students faced with multiple entrance tests and to reduce the duplication of effort by many institutions in conducting such examinations.
JGEEBILS is intended to serve as a common point for students from any science discipline or engineering to start the process to apply for biology graduate programs around India. Participating institutions contribute questions and logistical support for conducting the examination. This year the examination will be on 7th March 2024.
Each participating institution has its own admission process and eligibility criteria. The JGEEBILS test is only one step in this. In general, applicants must apply separately to each participating institution that they are interested in. Please visit the institutional websites for details of these different entrance processes.
PARTICIPATING INSTITUTIONS: GS2024 – BIOLOGY
ACTREC: Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research, and Education in Cancer, Mumbai (www.actrec.gov.in)
Bose Institute: Bose Institute, Kolkata (www.jcbose.ac.in)
CCMB: Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad (www.ccmb.res.in)
CDFD: Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, Hyderabad (www.cdfd.org.in)
DBS-TIFR: Department of Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
IISER: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research at Kolkata (www.iiserkol.ac.in)
IMSc: Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai (www.imsc.res.in)
InStem: Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Bengaluru (www.instem.res.in)
MAHE: Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal (Life Sciences) (www.manipal.edu/mu.html)
NBRC: National Brain Research Centre, Manesar (www.nbrc.ac.in)
NCBS: National Centre for Biological Sciences,Bengaluru (www.ncbs.res.in)
NCCS: National Centre for Cell Science, Pune (www.nccs.res.in)
NII: National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi (www.nii.res.in)
NISER: National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar (www.niser.ac.in)
RCB: Regional Centre for Biotechnology, Faridabad (www.rcb.res.in)
SINP: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kokata (www.saha.ac.in)
TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad (http://www.tifrh.res.in)
Programs offered at NCBS, Bangalore, and DBS, Mumbai:
- PhD (NCBS, DBS, and TIFR-H)
- Integrated Ph.D. (NCBS, DBS, and TIFR-H)
- M.Sc. in Research (only at DBS)
- M.Sc in Wildlife Biology and Conservation (only at NCBS)
For Biology: Candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on written test marks, CV and Scientific Write-up.
For Ph.D: Masters in Basic Science (M.Sc. Physics/Chemistry/Any branch of Biology) or any professional Master’s Degree (M.Pharma./M.Tech.), or a > 4 year degree program (e.g. MBBS, BDS).
For I-Ph.D./M.Sc.: Bachelors in any Basic Science (Physics/Chemistry/Any branch of Biology) OR any 4-year degree program that awards a “Bachelor’s degree” including B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 year course).
M.Sc. Wildlife Biology & Conservation: This year no exam.
IMPORTANT DATE’S :
- Nationwide Entrance Examination: Sunday, March 7th, 2024
- Last date for application: January 31, 2024
- Hall Ticket download link will be active from : March 2024
- Results of the Nationwide Entrance Examination (shortlist for interviews) : March, 2024
TEST TIMING :
Entrance examination held in Two sessions morning sessions and afternoon sessions
On Morning Session : 09:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Physics, Chemistry, Computer & Systems Sciences
On Afternoon Session:
Biology: 02:30 p.m. to 04:30 p.m.
Mathematics: 02:30 p.m. to 05:30 p.m.
EXAMINATION CENTER’S :
There will be examination centres in the following cities but the exact location / venue of the examination will be available on the downloaded hall ticket :
Agartala, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhillai, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Guwahati, Haldwani, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Kanpur, Kolkata, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Varanasi, Visakhapatnam.
FELLOWSHIP STIPEND :
- For Ph.D. and I-Ph.D. programmes, the academic year starts from August 1, every year. The academic year for M.Sc. programme begins from July 1, every year.
- Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 25,000/- (enhanced to Rs 28,000/- after registration).
- I-Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 16,000/- for the first year. At the end of the first year, upon satisfactory performance, the fellowship is enhanced to Rs 25,000/- per month (further raised to Rs 28,000/- after registration for Ph.D.).
- M.Sc. (Biology) Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 16000/-.
- M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation)Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 12000/-.
Note : Accommodation is provided to Ph.D. and I-Ph.D. students only, at a nominal cost
APPLICATION FEES AND PAYMENT :
Male Candidates : Rs 900/-
Female Candidates : Rs 300/-
Application fee can be paid online through internet banking/Debit/Credit Card or by sending Demand Draft.
After the online payment transaction is successful, please login to your account on our website by using your reference code as your user id and check the payment status of your application. Normally, online payments are received within 2 working days and a auto email is sent by the system acknowledging the payment. If your transaction has been successful and your account has been debited and you do not receive the acknowledgement email within 7 days, neither your payment status is updated in your account, you may write to email@example.com
DD should be drawn on State Bank of India in favour of “Tata Institute of Fundamental Research” payable at Mumbai and mailed to : University Cell Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Homi Bhabha Road, Colaba Mumbai 400005. Please superscribe GS-2019 (Subject) on the envelope and write your name, reference code and mobile number behind the DD and send it by courier/speed post.
Application fee waiver : A waiver of the application fee on grounds of financial distress may be requested by a letter from the Principal or the Head of the Department justifying the request. The letter/recommendation from the Principal/HOD should be on the official letter head duly signed and stamped.
Students applying online may click the fee waiver option in the payment section of the application form and send the letter from the Principal / HOD along with a print of the application to TIFR, Mumbai. For mailing address refer Contact Us Page.
Alternately, students can scan the recommendation letter and upload it to their application.
Note : Please note that applicants with fee waiver request will be issued hall tickets subject to the approval of the competent authority and availability of seats at the centre of their choice.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
The admissions procedure (in all subjects, except Science Education) consists of an online test at one of the several nationwide centers, followed by interviews of shortlisted candidates. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews to be held from end-February to early-April, 2024. The exact dates would be announced later.
Biology: The TIFR Nationwide Entrance Examination (GS2020) for Biology is also called the Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS). See http://www.ncbs.res.in/JGEEBILS.
All participating institutions use the result from this examination as a part of their admission process. Students need to apply separately to each JGEEBILS participating institution.
Before you choose Ph.D. or Integrated Ph.D. program in the basic registration form, please go through the eligibility criteria carefully. Ensure that you have typed your email ID correctly in the basic registration form. A sms is sent on the mobile number and an email is sent after completion of the basic registration wherein login credentials are given to complete the form.
Important instructions for aspirants :
Before you start filling up the complete application form make sure the following are ready with you :
- Scanned image/electronic copy of your Passport size photograph (preferably a jpg file below 80 kb in size). Applications with personal photos (selfies) or edited photos uploaded will be rejected.
- Scanned copy of signature (preferably a jpg file below 80 kb in size).
- Demand Draft details (DD number, Bank, etc.) or Credit / Debit Card details for online payment of the application fee.
- If you are applying under the Fee Waiver category, you have the option to upload a scanned copy of the recommendation letter from the Principal/HOD of your college.
- If you are applying under the disability category, you will need to upload a scanned copy of the disability certificate.
- If you intend to apply for multiple subjects, you will have to provide a different email id for each application.
- Check all the details before clicking the submit button.
- You may take a print of your application after successful registration or save the same as a pdf file. Applicants wishing to pay by DD may send the DD by writing their reference code, name, and telephone number behind it. There is no need to send the print of the application form.
The Test Consist Of Multiple Choice Questions Coving Basics Only in Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and Biology. There is no guidebook or syllabus. No Special Knowledge or Preparation is Required.
ADMIT CARD HALL TICKETS:
The candidate should verify all the information on the admit card. If any issue is found, then get it corrected with the concerned authority.
The candidates are required to carry the admit card to the examination hall. Without it, you will not be allowed to enter the examination hall. It is also very important to document for further admission processes. Revise your basics, that is all.
The interview will be based on whatever area you are most interested in and comfortable in.
Results of the entrance examination will be announced on March 2024 and students shortlisted for interview will be intimated by email.
After All The Question Booklets And OMR Response Sheets of the TIFR GS exam are received by the TIFR the evaluation shall be done using an OMR machine. After Evaluation, the Result shall be declared Rank-Wise, Roll No Wise, And Category Wise. TIFR GS Result 2024 will be available at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
For more information write to the below address :
Academic Office, National Centre for Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
GKVK, Bellary Road,
Bangalore 560065, India
Phone: 91-8023666404, 8023666021
How to prepare for NCBS JGEEBILS 2024
- Please check the question papers of the last few years. This helps in understanding the exam pattern and important topics. This increases your self-confidence, as well as your preparation also moves in the right direction. If needed, help of your seniors and teachers should also be taken.
- You should be fully familiar with your syllabus. Now all questions are objective, so no topic should be left out.
- You should give priority to some topics. This exam covers most of the topics of your PG course, so your grip on every subject should be strong. The test papers of general awareness must be solved.
- Personal notes must be made. These notes are very useful for ‘last-minute study’.
- Large notebooks or registers should be kept. Divide the notebook into three columns. Write the topic, title, serial number in the left column, the main cut in the middle column and any updates or references in the last column.
- You should do your preparation properly. You should know which subject to study for how long and for how long. Should not be a waste of time
- The most important thing is that you should be positive and full of self-confidence. Self-confidence reveals your preparedness.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many seats available for NCBS PhD
Answer: There is only one entry point for admission into the Ph.D. program at NCBS and that is JGEEBILS. The applicant must appear and clear the written exam, regardless of his CSIR/GATE/DBT/DST/ICMR qualification.
NCBS takes around 30–35 students per year in the TIFR GS program. There are 20–25 Ph.D. and 5–10 IntPhD selections every year but the figures are completely flexible. There is no separate gateway for CSIR or GATE fellows. Everyone who is called for the interviews comes through TIFR JGEEBILS only.
2. What is the TIFR JGEEBILS cut-off?
Answer: The result list published by TIFR and NCBS does not show marks obtained in the exam for any candidate. Even names in the list are not arranged in any order. There is no cut-off that is revealed.
Every year internally they decide the average cut off and a list of eligible students is published separately by each of the institutes on their website for biological sciences (TIFR, NCBS, and all the IISERs).
For information— more students’ names appear in IISER’s list than the list published by TIFR and NCBS. Then, according to the list candidates can fill up the application form for the next round i.e. interview.
3. How to check the JGEEBILS score
Answer: The NCBS JGEEBILS exam scores are shared only among the participating partner institutions. Each institution operates independent cutoffs in their application processes, therefore TIFR – NCBS does not provide a rank for candidates.
For any further details, one must contact each institution directly using the reference code.
4. Admission process of the JGEEBILS exam
Answer: JGEEBILS(Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biological and Interdisciplinary Life Science) conducts an entrance exam (Computer Based Test) in order to take admission to a PG program specially integrated Ph.D. in life science or biological science in various colleges including TIFR-NCBS, IISER. You have to secure good marks in such a way that you can stand in their merit list, then after they will call you via mail or voice call for an interview where you will be questioned by the various faculties in your subject of interest, more or less you will be overall checked. The interview would run for two rounds. During the interview period basically, they will ask you basic questions, and at the same time, they will check your understanding ability, interest, problem-solving approach, etc. the final result will be declared by them.
5. Exams centers for JGEEBILS ?
Answer: The following are exam centers of JGEEBILS have mentioned below.
- Bangalore: University of Agricultural Sciences
- Bhubaneshwar, Utkal University
- Ahmedabad, St Xavier’s College
- Chandigarh, Punjab University
- Cochin, Cochin University of Science and University
- Delhi, Miranda House/ S.G.T.B. Khalsa College(D.U.)/ Kendriya Vidyalaya
- Guwahati, Indian Institute of Technology
- Haldwani, Motiram Baburam Government P.G. College
- Hyderabad, Hyderabad University
- Indore, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya
- Jaipur, India International School
- Jammu, Jammu University
- Kanpur, Indian Institute of Technology
- Kolkata, St. Xavier‘s College/ Jadavpur University/Kendriya Vidyalaya
- Madurai, The Madura College
- Mangalore, University College, Mangalore University
- Mumbai, Kendriya Vidyalaya No.1, Colaba
- Nagpur, Shri Ramdeo Baba Kamla Nehru Engineering College
- Patna, Radiant International College
- Pune, Loyola High School, and Junior College
- Srinagar, Kashmir University
- Varanasi, Banaras Hindu University
- Vishakhapatnam, GITAM University
6. Cheak your GS 2024 Result
Answer: Based on the performance in the TIFR/JGEEBILS exam held on March 7, 2024, the following candidates are invited to submit a full application. This will be used by the following Centres/Institutions to shortlist candidates for on-campus interviews: DBS-TIFR (Mumbai); TCIS-TIFR (Hyderabad); NCBS-TIFR/inStem (Bangalore). Each Centre/Institution makes decisions to shortlist candidates independently, based on the material submitted in the full application.
Please use the Reference Code to access and download the Application Form (.doc format) and review the information requested before completing the form. Candidates should have already received a password by email. You can also click “Forgot Password” to generate a new password. Once you complete all the sections, save the document in PDF format and upload the form as indicated.
Your referees must submit their reports electronically to us. To activate this section of the process, please click the “Referee Report” button. You will have to provide the details (name and current email IDs) for two referees. The referees will be contacted automatically at the email IDs provided by you, and requested to submit their confidential assessment. We strongly encourage you to provide institutional email IDs for your referees. You will receive a notification when your referees are contacted and are responsible for ensuring that the reports are sent in on time.
There is no provision to submit the Application Form or Referee Reports offline. Incomplete application forms or those not supported by Referee Reports are invalid and not processed further.
Candidates are shortlisted for interviews by each Centre/Institution on the basis of the statement of interest, scientific and extra-curricular efforts, academic performance, Referee Reports, and scores/ranks in written tests. If you are shortlisted for an on-campus interview, you will receive a call letter directly from the relevant Centre(s)/Institution(s). The dates for the on-campus interviews will be mentioned in this call letter.
For any deviations from this procedure, you must obtain approval and instructions by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructions to download the Application Form:
Centers/Institutions will consider any and all applications received before the following dates. You only need to submit a single Application Form.
What is ncbs exam?
Answer: JGEEBILS Exam – The National Center for Biological Sciences (NCBS) conducts the Joint Graduate Entrance Examination – a shared entrance exam for many institutions conducting research in biology and interdisciplinary life sciences. The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research coordinates the exam.
What is JGEEBILS?
Answer: NCBS JGEEBILS Exam (Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences) will be conducted by TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research) to offer admission to PhD (I-PhD), Ph. . D. Graduate Program, M.Sc in Biology subject, Integrated M.Sc.
How to apply for JGEEBILS?
Answer: Interested candidates can apply for JGEEBILS Exam only through online mode on the official website of TIFR.
What will be the JGEEBILS Exam application form fee?
Answer: JGEEBILS Exam application form will be charged Rs. 900 / – for male candidates and Rs. For female candidates. 300 / – will be.
How to pay JGEEBILS application form fee?
Answer: Candidates can pay the JGEEBILS Exam application form fee online mode through debit card, credit card, and net banking.
Who can apply for JGEEBILS Exam?
Answer: Candidates should have a Master’s degree in Science or a Bachelor of Applied Science and candidates should be trained for at least one year. To apply for the NCBS JGEEBILS exam, candidates must graduate in any discipline with at least 50% marks in important subjects.
What is Tifr GS Exam?
Answer: TIFR Nationwide Entrance Examination for Biology is also known as Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS). See http://www.ncbs.res.in/JGEEBILS. All the participating institutes use the result of this test as a part of their admission process.
Is TIFR government?
Answer: The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) is a publicly understood research university based in Mumbai, India dedicated to basic research in mathematics and science. It is a deemed university and works under the umbrella of the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India.