Write a brief account of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy.
- The Bhopal Gas Tragedy is the worst industrial accident.
- On the night of 2nd December 1984, in the city of Bhopal, there was a gas leak fity of Bhopal, there was a gas leak from the Union Carbide Pesticide Plant. This gas was methyl isocyanate (MIC).
- The gas leakage killed 5000 human lives due to the poisonous MIC.
- MIC can react with water. It causes swelling in the lungs. Eyes too develop cataract upon exposure.
- Due to such fluid formation in the lungs many people died on the fateful night of gas leakage.
- About 50,000 people were seriously affected and many became blind.
- About 2/3rd of the children born to pregnant mothers on that night, died due to air pollution.
- Only 1/3rd survided. Out of 1350 new born babies, 16 were physically deformed and 60 were dead due to premature births.
- In deformed children, there were congenital heart defects, holes in arms and impaired eyesights
- The vegetation in the surroundings area of the Union Carbide plant of about 3.5 sq km was severely affected.
- The fruits were also affected after the episode of gas leakage. They were also affected after the episode of gasl eakage. They were unfit for humanc onsumption.