What is Quarantine? Definition and Advantages:
As the corona virus spread in the world, one word climbed on everyone’s tongue. That word is quarantine. Today everyone is using it. Although some people still do not know its meaning, but this word has become one of the most popular words in today’s time. This word is new to crores of people of the world. But friends, have you ever wondered where did this word come from and when was it first used? To prevent infectious diseases, it must be isolated and quarantined
Definition of Quarantine:
- Quarantine is a strategy used to prevent the spread of infectious disease by avoiding close contacts of infected person from others.
- Quarantine is a measure of risk management to prevent infectious diseases from spreading one to another.
What is Quarantine?
- The word quarantine comes from the Latin word Quarantum, which originally means “forty days”.
- During 1348-1359, 30 percent of Europe’s population was killed by the plague.
- After this, in 1377, Cretia (city-state of Ragus) issued an order for its incoming ships and people on them to be isolated on an island for 30 days.
- In 1448, this quarantine time was increased to 40 days.
- As long as it was for thirty days, it was called Trentine, when it was 40 days it was called Quarantine. From here this word also originated.
- The effect of the 40-day quarantine was clearly visible at that time and the plague had been controlled to a great extent. At that time, the patient of the plague used to die within 37 days.
- Any disease which has been confirmed to be transmitted from one person to another and during that time if a person is suspected to be infected, even if he does not show signs of infection, then the activities of that person are restricted to a particular place.
- According to the World Health Organization, the word quarantine is associated with a person who has recently been in contact with a symptomatic (with symptoms) or asymptomatic (without symptoms) person infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes covid-19.
- Quarantine means that you have to isolate from everyone else (including family members) as soon as possible, because you have been exposed to the virus and you can infect other people with the virus.
- Suspected person can quarantine at home, in a room in the house or in any center. Where there is a facility to use basic facilities without coming in contact with any other person.
- In relation to covid-19, suspected should quarantine for 14 days at the Quarantine Center or at home.
- Monitor for symptoms.
- In the event of emergency warning signs , including difficulty breathing, seek immediate medical attention.
- If possible, stay in a separate room away from other household members.
- If possible, a separate bathroom should be used.
- If possible, take steps to improve ventilation in your home .
- Avoid contact with other family members and pets.
- Do not share personal household items such as cups, towels and utensils with others.
- Wear a well-fitting mask when you need to be around others .