- Human genome projects (HGP) is the study of genes and genomes of human beings by DNA sequencing and related analysis.
- HGP was started in 1990 in the USA and coordinated by the US Department of Energy and the National Institute of Health.
- The project was completed in 2003.
- HGP is a multinational research project to determine the genomic structure of man.
- HGP is a multidisciplinary effort to understand the basis of the human heredity genome.
- HGP includes a comprehensive study of the genome which include the construction of a genetic map of the chromosomes and the sequencing of all genes.
Aim of HGP:
- To generate detailed maps of the human genome.
- To know every gene in humans.
- To know the location of each gene on the chromosome.
- To know the sequence of each gene.
- To know the role/function of each gene.
- The complete sequence of the human genome has been described as the blueprint of humanity which helps to understand our biology and behavior.