Electric Bulb – Definition, Structure, advantages, and disadvantages
Electric Bulb Definition :
- The invention of the light bulb has brought convenience to human beings, and it has been used to this day.
- Electric light bulb (or electric ball, tungsten filament lamp), its accurate technical name is an incandescent lamp.
- The perimeter of the bulb is made of glass, and the filament is held in a vacuum or low-pressure inert gas to prevent the filament from oxidizing at high temperatures.
- Electric light is a kind of artificial light source, which is a device that converts electrical energy into light energy for indication or lighting.
Electric Bulb structure:
- Among them, a lamp that emits light after heating a filament usually made of tungsten with an electric current to an incandescent state is called an incandescent lamp.
- Incandescent lamps whose bulbs are filled with halogen and inert gases are called halogen lamps.
- An electric bulb refers to an electrical lamp consisting of a semitransparent or clear glass housing. it’s conjointly called a lightweight bulb. this straight forward device has been used for lighting functions for over a century.
- An electrical bulb refers to a tool that produces lightweight by applying electricity.
- incandescent light-weight bulb sometimes consists of a glass enclosure containing a metal filament. an electrical current passes through the filament, heating it to a temperature that produces lightweight.
- once a lightweight bulb connects electrical current flows from one metal contact to a different one.
- As current passes through the wires and filament, the filament heats up to the purpose wherever it begins to emit photons, that square measure little packets of visible radiation.
History of Electric Bulb:
Thomas Edison (1847-1931) presents the first incandescent lamp suitable for production. Officially, this lamp also had a carbon filament, but there is some uncertainty about it because Edison and his people experimented with a lot of different materials. It earns him the US patent.
Advantage of Electric Bulb:
- It is very cheap and affordable.
- Installation is easy.
- It’s available in different sizes and shapes.
- It generates relatively high output.
- It has a longer life than other light sources.
The disadvantage of Electric Bulb:
- The biggest problem with the light bulb is the sublimation of the filaments.
- After some time it turns black.
- It breaks very easily.
- Mercury, a chemical used in some light bulbs, these chemical highly toxic to humans
- It generates low lumen per watt. A lamp has a short lifetime.