AIIMS is a very common word for people related to the medical line, which must have been heard by all, but there are many people who do not know about AIIMS Full Form and also do not know what AIIMS is. It is a major medical college and hospital located in New Delhi, India. It works under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (India). AIIMS is governed by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences Act, 1956.
AIIMS offers several medical courses, MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) being one of them. It is a pioneer in the field of medical research. There are more than 600 research publications by its faculty and researchers in a year. It also runs a nursing college to provide B.Sc Hons. Nursing degree and manages a 60-bed hospital in Ballabhgarh, Haryana. Its 25 clinical departments, including four super specialty centers, handle all types of medical conditions. However, cases of dog bites and infectious diseases are not entertained at AIIMS.
AIIMS Full Form :
History of AIIMS
Sir Joseph Bhore was an Indian public servant. He was recommended by the Health Survey and Development Committee in the year 1946 for the establishment of a national medical center which can cater to the needs of highly qualified manpower to handle the growing health care activities of the country.
As we told that it was a dream of Jawaharlal Nehru ji as well as the then Health Minister Amrita Kaur ji also supported it. Due to this, the committee comprising Jawaharlal Nehru, Amrita Kaur and Joseph Bhor prepared a proposal. The proposal was also supported by the New Zealand government.
The New Zealand Government donated to the Government of India under the Colombo Plan, which laid the foundation of AIIMS in the year 1952. Finally, AIIMS was created in the year 1956 and it was in 1956 that AIIMS Institute was first established in Delhi.
What is AIIMS?
AIIMS is a conglomerate of public medical colleges and was conceived by Nehru with the objective of establishing a center to sustain the pace of medical education and research in South East Asia. Today AIIMS has reached many heights and has achieved many achievements.
The main objectives of AIIMS :
- Develop a pattern of teaching in all branches of undergraduate and postgraduate medical education. So that high level of medical education can be demonstrated in all medical colleges in India.
- Providing quality educational facilities at one place for the training of personnel in all important branches of health activity.
- Achieving self-reliance in postgraduate medical education.
What are the main functions of AIIMS
- To provide undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in medicine and related medical sciences.
- To impart nursing and dental education.
- To produce medical teachers for the medical colleges of the country.
- To conduct research in medicine and related sciences.
When and where AIIMS was made
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences or AIIMS (AIIMS) is a cluster of public medical colleges. It is the oldest institute in India in terms of medical school and hospital. Its foundation was laid in 1952. AIIMS is located in the capital of India, Delhi.
It was created in 1956 as an Acting Institution through an Act of Parliament to nurture primacy in all aspects of health care and serve patients.
Functions of AIIMS
1. Graduate and postgraduate teaching in medicine and related physical life sciences.
2. Nursing and dental education
3. Innovation in education
4. Preparation of Medical Teachers for the country
5. Research in medical and related services
6. Health care: Preventive, preventive and remedial, primary, secondary and tertiary
7. Community based teaching and research
Top 7 AIIMS hospital in India
Let us show you the establishment year and city of major AIIMS institutes where hospital facility is available.
1) AIIMS Delhi Institute was established in the year 1956 in the city of New Delhi, Delhi.
2) AIIMS Bhopal Institute was established in the year 2012 in Bhopal city of Madhya Pradesh.
3) AIIMS Bhubaneswar Institute was established in the year 2012 in the city of Bhubaneswar in Odisha region.
4) AIIMS Jodhpur Institute was established in the year 2012 in Jodhpur city.
5) AIIMS Patna Institute was established in the year 2012 in Patna city of Bihar state.
6) AIIMS Raipur Institute was established in the year 2012 in Raipur city of Chhattisgarh region.
7) AIIMS Rishikesh Institute was established in the year 2012 in the city of Rishikesh in Uttarakhand.