Multiple Choice Questions.
1. Antibiotic Chloromycetin is obtained from …………………
a. Streptomyces erythreus
b. Penicillium chrysogenum
c. Streptomyces venezuelae
d. Streptomyces griseus
Answer : C
Explanation : Chloromycetin is also known as chloramphenicol is a crystalline substance obtained from the culture solution of Streptomyces venezuelae. It is an antibiotic useful for the treatment of a number of bacterial infections like meningitis, plague, cholera, and typhoid fever.
2. Removal of large pieces of floating debris, oily substances, etc. during sewage treatment is called …………….
a. primary treatment
b. secondary treatment
c. final treatment
Answer : Primary Treatment
3. Which one of the following is free living
d. Bacillus thuringiensis
Answer : Azotobacter.
Explanation : Azotobacter, Sometimes, Nostoc being BGA is also considered to be a free-living biofertilizer.
◆ Extra information –
– Biofertilizers are the substance that contains microorganism’s living or latent cells used for increasing crop yield.
– It can be of two types –
1) Free-living biofertilizers – Azotobacter, Cyanobacteria, etc.
2) Mutalistic biofertilizers –
Azosporilium, Rhizobium, etc.
4. Most commonly used substrate for industrial production of beer is ………….
d. sugarcane molasses
Answer : Sugarcane molasses
5. Ethanol is commercially produced through a particular species of …………..
Answer : Saccharomyces
6. One of the free-living anaerobic nitrogen-fixer is …………………
Answer : Rhodospirillum
Explanation: Rhodospirillum is a free–living, anaerobic nitrogen fixer bacteria. It can synthesize its food in presence of light under anaerobic condition.
7. Microorganisms also help in production of food like ……………..
b. alcoholic beverages
Answer : Bread and Alcoholic beverages
Explanation : Microorganisms are essential for the production of foods such as cheese, yogurt, bread, beer, wine and other fermented foods. Fermentation is one of the methods to preserve food and alter its quality. Yeast, especially Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is used to leaven bread, brew beer and make wine.
8. MOET technique is used for …………
a. production of hybrids
Answer : production of hybrids
Explanation : Multiple ovulation and embryo transfer technology (MOET) is a method used for the hybridization of the cattle. In this method, a hormone (with FSH-like activity) is given to the cow for inducing follicular maturation and superovulation instead of one egg, which they usually give per cycle, they produce 6-8 eggs.
9. Mule is the outcome of …………..
b. artificial insemination
c. interspecific hybridization
Answer : Intraspecific hybridization
Explanation : mule is the result intraspecific hybridization of the mating of a male donkey (jack) and a female horse (mare) to produce a hybrid. The much rarer hinny is the result of mating a female donkey (jennet) with a male horse (stallion) although the hinny is much harder to produce than the mule.